Greetings OLPH CAB Students and Family,
Welcome to Computer Class! My name is Ms. Narda Khan and I will be your students' Computer teacher for the year 2016-2017. I am excited about the opportunity to get to know you, and I am looking forward to a happy and productive school year. My goal for this class is to introduce your student to educational uses for computers that will allow them to succeed not only in their other classes here at OLPH CAB, but in their future studies as well.
OLPH CAB – Technology Code of Conduct
Using technology and accessing the Internet is a valuable tool in the educational development of each student at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Academy of Brooklyn. Using the Internet is an excellent way of enhancing and supplementing a lesson. This is why it is important for each student to follow important guidelines when utilizing technology at school. Each student must return the OLPH CAB Technology Code of Conduct to continue accessing technology at school. The following link is a downloadable version of our policy.
My Topics of Study
Topics that your student will study may include:
· Mouse manipulation skills
· Touch typing
· Word processing
· Internet safety and research
· English Language Arts
· Social Studies
My Grading Policy
Grades will be based on four areas each worth 25 points, for a total of 100 points.
1. Behavior - 25 points
2. Participation and Effort in class – 25 points
3. Knowledge and Skill – 25 points
4. Class Projects – 25 points
You may track your student's grade at any time using Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Academy of Brooklyn Option C website at http://www.optionc.com
My Classroom Guidelines and Consequences
These guidelines have been designed around the goal of creating a comfortable and respectable learning environment for all students in the classroom.
- Students are expected to enter class on time each day and be ready to work.
- There is no eating, or drinking in the classroom.
- Students should wait for my instructions before starting their lesson.
- Do not touch another student’s computer equipment. If you are helping another student, guide them by using your words.
- Students are expected to remain in their seat and on task during class.
- Students in need of help can raise their hands and I will assist them.
- To prepare for dismissal from class, students should exit any programs they are using, and straighten their work area.
- Students that remain on task will have the opportunity to earn free time at the end of the class session.
- Students choosing not to remain on task may reduce their free time as well as receive the following consequences: a 10 minute timeout and loss of class effort points.
- Serious infractions will result in detention
My Recording in class
Occasionally as part of a class project we will need to take photos, or make audio or video recordings of students. Please be assured that students’ information will never be posted with full names or other private information.
While OLPH CAB will provide the computers for the class, there are a few small things that your student will need to bring. Students in Grade K-8 will need a pair of headphones as many of our lessons and projects require sound. It is important that students have a simple pair of headphones with them that they can plug into the computer. As you can imagine playing audio out loud is distracting to other students in the class and will not be allowed. I recommend having a simple (cheap) pair just for the class that can be left in their backpack rather than using other iPod, or nicer headphones. Please place these headphones in a large Ziplock bag clearly labeled with the student’s name. Also please place an empty toilet tissue roll, or paper towel roll, in the bag, so that students can wrap their headphones around them for minimal cord entanglement.
For our classroom to run smoothly, each grade is also asked to provide the following supplies. Thank you for your support.
Pre-Kindergarten - Disinfecting Wipes (Clorox or Lysol etc.)
Kindergarten – Disinfecting Wipes (Clorox or Lysol etc.)
Grade 1 - Disinfecting Wipes (Clorox or Lysol etc.)
Grade 2 – Paper Towels
Grade 3 – Facial Tissue
Grade 4 – Facial Tissue
Grade 5 - Disinfecting Wipes (Clorox or Lysol etc.)
Grade 6 – Hand Soap
Grade 7 – Paper Towels
Grade 8 – Hand Sanitizer
My Home Policy
While working on computer projects at home is not required, most of the software that we use in class can be downloaded for free, or there are free or trial alternatives that can be used at home. Studies have shown that parental involvement in a student’s education is one of the strongest indicators of student achievement. Here are some suggested websites that you can introduce to your student, where logic and thinking, meet fun and games:
· ABCya - http://www.abcya.com/
· Cool Math Games - http://coolmath-games.com/
· Knowledge Adventure - http://www.knowledgeadventure.com/
· Storyline Online - http://www.storylineonline.net/
If you have any questions or concerns you can contact me on a Monday or Tuesday at OLPH CAB Phone# (718) – 439 -8067, or email me anytime at email@example.com
Once again welcome to Computer Class. Let’s work together to make this the best year ever!
Ms. Narda Khan
Year 2014 - 2015