Performing Arts Residency Program
We are pleased to be able to continue to offer our students the opportunity to participate in the Performing Arts School Residency Program. This highly successful program is a collaboration between the Office of the Superintendent of the Diocese of Brooklyn and Stages on the Sound, Inc., and is supported by the Sister Elizabeth Anne Seton Trust.
This program brings professionally trained Master’s-degree level theatre arts educators to our school. They follow a curriculum for theatre arts education in line with the NYS Blueprint for the Arts. The 15 week residency will work with grades 4, 6, and 8 in our academy – 4th, 6th and 8th. They also bring several performances and special assemblies that will be offered to other grades so that all of our students will have some exposure to the arts during the academic year.
The Stages on the Sound Program includes:
- Two teaching artists are assigned to OLPH to work with our students each Wednesday for 15 weeks.
- The teaching artists meet with each of the three grades (4th, 6th and 8th) for one class period each at an assigned time.
- The curriculum will move from concept to production. Each grade has a unique focus:
- 4th grade – Film Making
- 6th grade – Play Writing and Producing
- 8th grade – Shakespeare Study and Performance
- The residency will culminate in a single performance in which each grade involved will give a presentation for parents, families and other students.
- In addition to the weekly sessions and culminating performance, by participating in the residency, OLPH will also receive the following:
- Free admission for all students grades 3-5 to Stages on the Sound, Inc. annual Christmas show.
- Intro to Shakespeare performance for grades 5-8 at OLPH
- Free admission for all students grades 7-8 in a one-hour adaptation of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, to be produced by Stages on the Sound, Inc. at a location within the Diocese to be determined.
Visit www.stagesonthesound.com to learn more about Stages on the Sound.